Sunday, 6 March 2011

‘The Somersetshire Lady’ a 17thc Ballad

 
The Somersetshire LADY:
CONTAINING
Her sorrowful Lamentation for her Misfortunes, in an Extravagant SPENDTHRIFT,
who by Riotous Living, brought her to Ruine.
To the Tune of If Love's a sweet Passion, etc.
NETSCHER Caspar. young girl holding a letter. c. 1665.
I Am a young Wife that has cause to complain,
Yet I fear all my sorrowful Sighs are in vain;
For my Husband he is an invincible Sot,
There is nothing he minds but the Pipe, and the Pot:
When a Husband he is a sad Spendthrift, you know
Then a Wife must sad Sorrow and Grief undergoe.
 
I am a Knight's Daughter of Somersetshire ,
And my Portion was Three or Four hundred a Year;
Which my rambling Husband has blasted of late,
For he spends at a woeful Extravagant rate:
When a Husband he is a sad Spendthrift, you know
Then a Wife must, etc.
 
When first he came to me, I needs must confess,
He came, like a Spark, in an Officer's Dress;
But in drinking so many good Gallons of Sack,
He has scarce a good Coat, or a Shirt to his Back:
When a Huaband he is a sad Spendthrift, you know
Then a Wife must, etc.
LE NAIN brothers- smokers 1643DETAIL
I know he will revel, and thunder, and call,
And suppose there be Twenty, he'll pay for them all,
While they are a toping his full flowing Bowl,
They will count him a noble and generous Soul:
When a Husband he is a sad Spendthrift, you know
Then a Wife must sad Sorrow and Grief undergoe.
 
It is but a folly to mention my Birth,
Or to think of my former rich Pleasure and Mirth;
For, alas! I am drowned in Floods of sad Tears,
For I han't been a Wife above Three or Four Years:
When a Husband he is a sad Spendthrift, you know
Then a Wife must sad Sorrow and Grief undergoe.
TERBORCH Gerard.man offering a woman coins. 1662-63
Believe me good People, as this is my Hand,
He has swallowed about Threescore Acres of Land,
With an Orchard, and House, a Draw-bridge, and great Moat,
He has swallowed them down his devouring Throat:
When a Husband he is a sad Spendthrift, you know
Then a Wife must, etc.
HONDECOETER, Gillis Claesz. d.landscape. 1620-22
To see my vast Portion thus wastfully spent,
It has cost me, in private, to sigh and lament,
And a Thousand times wishing I ne'er had been born;
For my Life is a burthen, my Days are forlorn:
When a Husband he is a sad Spendthrift, you know
Then a Wife must, etc.
 
I often have told him, when all is consum'd,
In Prison, with sorrow, he then will be doom'd;
Yet he never regards what I say in the least,
But abroad with his Croneys he'll Revel and Feast:
When a Husband he is a sad Spendthrift, you know
Then a Wife must, etc.
CARAVAGGIObeheading of st john the baptist detail1608
The Chains, and rich Jewels, I formerly wore,
They are gone, I have little, or nothing in store;
And besides, all my Lands are here mortgag'd, and sold,
There is nothing but Sorrow and Grief I behold:
When a Husband he is a sad Spendthrift, you know
Then a Wife must, etc.
 
O what will become of my Children dear,
They will live to know Hardship, and Sorrow, I fear,
When they might have liv'd happy, nay glorious and great,
If their Father he had not destroy'd their Estate:
When a Husband he is a sad Spendthrift, you know
Then a Wife must sad Sorrow and Grief undergoe.
BRAKENBURG Richard. may queen festival. 1700
 
Printed for J. Back, at the Black-Boy, on the midd[le]
of London-Bridge.
TENIERS David the Younger. the hustle cap.late17thc

AND THEN?.............





















Pepys 4.83 from http://ebba.english.ucsb.edu/ballad/21747/xml date approx: 1675-1703
All images from http://www.wga.hu/
1.NETSCHER Caspar. young girl holding a letter. c. 1665.
2.LE NAIN brothers- Brothers smoking (detail) 1643
3.TERBORCH Gerard.man offering a woman coins (detail) 1662-63
4.HONDECOETER, Gillis Claesz. d'. landscape. 1620-22
5.CARAVAGGIO, beheading of st john the baptist (detail)1608
6.BRAKENBURG Richard. may queen festival. (detail) 1700
7.TENIERS David the Younger. the hustle cap. late17thc
8.LAZZARINI, GregorioJael and Sisera late 17thc

Copyright © 2011 Elaine Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment