Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Further Reading



I started my 'further reading' page a long time ago so today I decided it would be a good idea to add some more titles to it. I have done a whole lot more reading since I started this blog, mainly because of my dissertation. Check out the newly updated page: http://earlymodernwomen.blogspot.com/p/further-reading.html


Recently I have recently enjoyed a new book (well it was published in 2010) by Fumerton, Guerrini and Mcabee apart from the amusing cover (which was much appreciated) I found the chapter 'Advertising Monstrosity: Broadsides and Human Exhibition in Early Eighteenth-Century London' to be particularly interesting. It looks at human exhibition between 1660 and 1740, based on evidence from the Hans Sloane Collection of broadsides which are available at the British Library. It includes discussion of several human exhibitions in London such as a hermaphrodite girl, discussing the role of coffee shops in the exhibition of unusual human bodies and audiences for such shows.

 Patricia Fumerton, Anita Guerrini, Kris Mcabee (eds.), Ballads and Broadsides in Britain, 1500-1800 (Ashgate: Farnham, 2010).










At some point I really should create an annotated bibliography, but that will have to wait until I have more time! *sigh sigh*






Happy reading     (:







Image of medieval woman reading from http://www.pastalamode.webs.com/
Book cover from Amazon
Glasses from here

Copyright © 2011 Elaine Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment