Thursday, 20 October 2011

More Chat up lines from the Seventeenth Century

A while ago I posted about 'The New Academy of Complements' written by Charles Sackville, Earl of Dorset which was printed in 1669. (see my previous post Chat Up lines: Early Modern Style ) The text includes many suggestions for 'complemental expressions' to be used during courtship, they really amused me so I though that I would revisit the text and post some more, enjoy! oh and feel free to try any of these out, I would be very interested to know the results :)




Complemental Expressions towards Men
  
  • Sir, My zeal is so fervent towards you, that I am sick with passion.
  • Sir, I must blushing leave you, having nothing to requite you with but words.
  • Sir, You are the onely Anchor of my hopes.
  • Sir, I shall study to chronicle your Vertues.
  • Sir, Fear no dangers, my Arms shall be your Sanctuary.
  • Sir, I am a captive to your Honor, and your fair Example steers me.
  • Sir, Your excellent qualities might become the presence of a Prince.
  • Sir, It is by your contents or discontents, that I measure the necessities and fatalities of this world.
  • Sir, I prostrate my presumption at your feet, I shall lose happiness if you forsake me.
  • Sir, I am proud when a kinde opportunity makes me yours.
  • Sir, 'Tis your presence that compleats our joys.
  • Sir, May we from this day date our immortal friendship.
  • Complements towards Ladies, Gentlewomen, Maids
    • Madam, Since I want merits to equallize your Vertues, I will for ever mourn for my imperfections.
    • Fair Lady, My whole estate is summ'd up in your smiles.
    • Madam, What crime of mine hath raised your angry frowns? 
    • Fairest, It is now high time to cherish my desires, let them be no longer prisoners to the shades of silence.
    • Dear Madam, Your love is the perfection of my desires.
    • Fairest, Make me so happy, as to raise my affections to the honor of being yours.
    • Blush fair Creature, Blush, since to be coy, is to be cruel, and to be cruel, is to be otherwise than what you seem, a Beauty.
    • Madam, Be wise and dote not so much upon your own beauty, the man with the bald pate can so alter your physnomy, that in a short time it shall fright you more than a Judge doth a Thief.
    • Madam, 'Tis past your Art to shun me, I will put a Girdle round about the world but I will finde you

    • Madam, I am sick of love, be you my Physitian or I shall suddenly expire.

    • Excellent Beauty, Painters, Poets, nor Players were ever guilty of half so many cruelties, as you (by the darts of your eyes) do exercise on those that admire you most.
    • I faith Widdow, I am in love, and 'tis with you, the untoward boy Cupid has wounded me, 'tis such a busie Urchin no person can be quiet for him, He glides through the Isle of man in a minute, gets into Middlesex;  and keeps his Christmass there till he's fir'd out, with heat and flames.

    • Dear Madam, When I am absent from you, I am sick of love, but every visit gives somewhat of consolation to my passion.
    •  Glossary
      Physnomy: 'the feature of the face' Elisha Coles, An English Dictionary (1676) or
      'an Art, which discovers the dispositions of the minde by the Lineaments of the body.' Thomas Blount, Glossographia or a Dictionary (1656)
      My thanks to the LEME (a very useful reference site) for these definitions.
      Illustrations
      Cover of The New Academy of Compliments, 1669, from EEBO
      Eglon vander Neer, Elegant Couple in an interior, 1678 from the Web Gallery of Art
      Jacob Jordaens, Portrait of a Young Married Couple, 1615-1620 from the Web Gallery of Art
       Copyright © 2011 Elaine Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment