Friday, 8 April 2016

Early Modern Alphabet: L

I haven't blogged in ages because I've been busy, but I'd like to start doing a few posts again so I thought I'd start with something easy :) I did have a grand idea (once upon a time) of blogging the Early Modern Alphabet using letters that I come across in early modern texts weekly. Not sure I can commit to it with such regularity but I will start doing some again as I find them. I came across this little gem today and it reminded me.

Is it a lion? Is it flower/person hybrid? Who knows?! I like to think that it's L for Lion. It probably isn't though...




Pierre Boaistuau,Certaine Secrete Wonders of Nature, 1569




Copyright © 2016 Elaine Jackson-Hunter

1 comment:

  1. The Georgian scripts are the three writing systems used to write the Georgian language: Asomtavruli, Nuskhuri andMkhedruli. Their letters are equivalent, sharing the same names and alphabetical order and all three are unicameral (make no distinction between upper and lower case). Although each continues to be used, Mkhedruli (see below) is taken as the standard for Georgian and its related Kartvelian languages.

    The scripts originally had 38 letters. Georgian is currently written in a 33-letter alphabet, as five of the letters are obsolete in that language. The Mingrelian alphabet uses 36: the 33 of Georgian, one letter obsolete for that language, and two additional letters specific to Mingrelian and Svan. That same obsolete letter, plus a letter borrowed from Greek, are used in the 35-letterLaz alphabet. The fourth Kartvelian language, Svan, is not commonly written, but when it is it uses the letters of the Mingrelian alphabet, with an additional obsolete Georgian letter and sometimes supplemented by diacritics for its many vowels. I liked your blog, Take the time to visit the me and say that the change in design and meniu?

    ReplyDelete